So you're hungry & want a snack, but you don't want to pig out on something nasty. Good for you! :] Plus, summer is coming & you want to look your best in that swimsuit. I can help you with that. Who doesn't enjoy a good noshing, especially if it's appetizing & hearty? Try these 5 easy & healthy snack ideas.
1. Frozen grapes - This saintly snack is seriously scrumptious. I especially recommend using seedless green grapes. The inside tastes just like your average ice pop. It's cool, tasty, & satisfies your sweet tooth. Nothing feels better than polishing off a bunch of frozen grapes with friends and not regretting it one bit. At least it's fruit & not an entire bag of potato chips! Plus, grapes are a good source of vitamin C and K. Once you start, you can't stop.
2. Veggies in dressing - Take broccoli, cauliflower and carrots and marinate it in dressing. Italian or balsamic dressing is quite amazing. Let the veggies sit for a few hours or overnight then pig out. It tastes incredible, almost like you're cheating & not even eating vegetables. This healthy vegan snack idea is not just for vegheads; we all should eat our veggies!
3. Homemade popcorn - You can buy an enormous bag of popcorn kernels from pretty much any grocery store. It's cheaper & better for you than the microwaveable stuff. Air popped popcorn has fiber and protein. You just need a pot, add some oil & wait until it's hot before you add the kernels. Put a lid on it and wait for those babies to POP!! You can add salt and pepper, vegan butter, or my personal favorite, chocolate chips. The chocolate melts all over the popcorn and once it cools down it becomes chocolate covered popcorn. Yum!
4. Applesauce - This tasteful tidbit is not just for kids anymore. Purchase unsweetened applesauce for a healthy vegan snack. The added sugar is unnecessary since there's already a ton of natural sugar in apples. I've seen four-packs of applesauce at the dollar store so this is not an expensive item. Applesauce is fat-free and cholesterol-free. Include cinnamon or nutmeg to taste.
5. Fruit salad - Look around the kitchen. Grab any & every fruit you have. Chop them up, add a bit of cinnamon & you're good to go. Use the fruit that you haven't eaten yet or that's just chilling around your kitchen. A fruit salad is the perfect way to get rid of that stray apple, spotted banana & old tangerine. If you have any, spruce your fruity salad up with some raisins or nuts. It's easy, breezy, fruity, natural, healthy, delicious. There is no wrong way to make this, so go crazy.
For those of us struggling to make healthy nutrition choices, I hope these easy healthy vegan snack ideas can help you out. Sure, potato chips would hit the spot, but think of all the nutrients, vitamins, & minerals within fruits & veggies. Stay healthy! Stay happy! :]